Wednesday 26 March 2014

5 - Hmm...where to start ?

 This was the question I was asking myself as I sat looking at her one night. Front or back ? I decided to tackle the front end first. 

 I pulled the front wheel out and took it apart. Tyre off, spokes out and the hub bearings removed. The next few days were spent polishing the rim and painting the centre of the hub. 


 The rebuild was straight forward with new bearings and oil seals in the hub. The spokes were in fine condition but it was difficult to polish the nipples. I was going to buy a new set but couldn't find any aluminium ones, only chrome plated brass. So the old ones went back in.


 When I took the wheel apart I was pleased to see stainless steel distance pieces on the axle. I remembered making them last time round, and they had survived 20 odd years in perfect condition. 


 I finished off with a new tyre, Pirelli MT43.



Before and After





No comments:

Post a Comment