Thursday 27 March 2014

6 - Forks

After finishing the wheel I pulled out the forks and stripped them down. There wasn't a lot of oil left in them, and what little there was, was a muddy brown colour.

 I took all the bits into work and washed them with a high pressure washer then gave the lowers a polish on the buff. There's a huge amount of deep scoring on the outside of the forks. Marty reckoned most of it was done by the bike rubbing against the side of a trailer, he's probably right. There was not a lot I could do about it.


 The stanchions however were perfect, I remember buying a new set years ago so the chrome was good.


 The rebuild wasn't hard. New oil seals (35-47-7) o-rings on the bottom of the dampers and a couple of new cir-clips finished it off. The only thing I'm noticing is that the left fork tube is just starting to bind in the lower at about the last inch of its travel before it bottoms out. I might come back to this on the refit but for now I'm going to carry on stripping.









No comments:

Post a Comment