Thursday 10 April 2014

10 - Back in Barcelona

 Last week my wife and I went back to Barcelona. We had enjoyed our visit the last time we were there and wanted to return to see a bit more of the city and relax in the sun. 

 Of course I took the opportunity to re-visit the moto museum. The permanent exhibition hadn't changed much but the temporary display now included a selection of prototype and experimental models. I had a nice chat with the lady at the desk and she allowed me to browse through their library of books, although they were all in Spanish.

 The photos show a pace setting bike for cycle tracks, an Ossa built for playing motorcycle football, Montessa and Bultaco city scooters, a unique Ossa racing bike, dirt track bikes, ice speedway bikes and some crazy looking custom bikes.














 But for me the highlight of the trip was visiting Romero Motos, a Bultaco shop in Barcelona.  


 I took the Metro out to Artiques St. Adria and walked from there. It wasn't hard to find and when I entered I was met by Christina and her mother Lucia. They gave me a warm welcome and we chatted for a bit before Christina took me on a tour of the shop. We went through all the workshops and store rooms stopping at every bench while Christina explained what was going on. The Romero family make and build parts for various Bultaco models. They compete in a classic racing series with three beautiful TSS race bikes prepared in this shop. 

 After the tour Mrs Romero opened lots of old photo albums and showed me pictures from the 1960's when she worked at the factory. She pointed out all the important figures, Mr Bulto and some of the factory racers, and herself.

 Lots more talking followed while we waited for the men to arrive. When they did Christina introduced me to her father Jesus Romero, her Uncle Peter and a family friend. 

 Mr Romero is pretty much "the man" when it comes to suspension set up. Unfortunately he couldn't stay long because he had a hospital appointment, but before him and his wife left he took me into the workshop, and with the help of Christina's translation skills, explained to me how to strip and rebuild the rear shocks. He also told me the problem I have with my front forks is quite common.

 So with a quick "Cheerio" away they went leaving just Christina and her Uncle Peter. Peter is a great guy, he doesn't speak any english but that didn't seem to matter, with a lot of pointing and hand signals we were able to understand each other the very best. He showed me all around the race bikes while Christina dealt with some customers and he helped me with my shopping list of parts for the Sherpa. I managed to come home with two new aluminium mudguards, rubber grips, fork dust covers and a couple of other bits.




 Soon it came round to lunch time, Christina picked up her youngest son Hugh from school and he did a very good job of holding a heavy camera in his little hands for a picture before we all said goodbye and the shop closed for lunch.

 Thank you all, Christina, Peter, Mr and Mrs Romero for making me so very welcome.



  










1 comment:

  1. That Bultaco classic racer is really nice, I like the Ossa to, more for it's function before form, the frame/fuel tank monocoque is similar to the John Player Norton Commando designed by Peter Williams.

    Go on Holiday and come home with bike parts? I like your style, :-)

    ReplyDelete